P R E S S R E L E A S E
UN to convene peace and reconciliation talks among communities in Marsabit County
WHAT: Marsabit County forum on reconciliation and sustainable peace
WHEN: 5 – 6 November 2018
WHERE: Jirime Resort, Marsabit Town
Marsabit, 1 November 2018… In response to the recent surge of violent conflict among various communities in Marsabit County, the UN in Kenya will engage various stakeholders in Marsabit in a two-day forum that aims to map out strategies for lasting peace and security in the County.
The meeting, to be held in Marsabit town from 5 – 6 November, is convened by the UN jointly with the National Security Council, the National Cohesion and Integration Commission and the Marsabit County government. Other organisations involved are the Inter-Religious Council of Kenya-Marsabit Chapter, local politicians, elders, DPCs, County Security Committee, women leaders, media and other key relevant stakeholders.
The forum is organized under the Kenya-Ethiopia Cross-Border Integrated Programme for Sustainable Peace and Economic Transformation. The programme has joint support from the European Union and the Government of Japan. It supports Kenya’s commitment to Agenda 2030 which calls on UN member states to commit itself to build peaceful, just, and inclusive societies that are free from fear and violence; to eradicate poverty and hunger; to combat inequalities; and to protect and respect human rights.
Among the topics lined up for discussion at the forum include:
• Addressing the causes of conflict in the county and prevention of recurrence of violence;
• Building trust and understand among the communities of the county;
• Leveraging potential conflict situations as opportunities for critical conversations that enhance sustainable peace;
• Managing conflict and come up with preventive measures;
• Role of different national and county government actors and effective coordination of responsibilities;
• Strengthening early warning systems.
For further information, please contact:
Chief Technical Advisor
Office of the UN Resident Coordinator
United Nations Office in Nairobi
P.O. Box 30218 – 00100 Nairobi, Kenya
Tel: +254 722 – 204645